Thursday 24 November 2011

Thank You!

After a long flight and almost getting stuck in Calgary due to the weather in Kelowna, I finally made it home!  As I walked into the Kelowna Airport I was greeted by my parents, Geoffrey and his wonderful family and then moments later by my roommate.  I was also greeted by snowy weather, familiar slippery roads and it all made me smile as I was home.

Firstly, I would like to say thanks to the people who have read my blog along the way.  It is amazing to be able to know there are people reading about my first Italian pizza and to be equally excited to see the fresh ingredients in that 'sexy pizza' picture.  When I'm out doing things, I'm thinking I have to go home and write about this on my blog - people back home will be like 'that's cool'!  I knew that hitting my first soccer match in Siena would be a hit with some of my friends at home.  You have read through my spelling mistakes, which if you know me well enough is pretty normal.  For everyone who has taken time out of their day and busy lives to read my blog, I say thank you.  

Grazie to my family and friends back home, each and every one of you know who you are.  You have all been so amazingly supportive while I'm a world away.  I realize more now than ever how lucky I am to have you in my life.  See you all soon! Big hugs!

Okanagan Chefs Association...I want to take a moment to tell you that this experience has not only opened my eyes to a new culture and view on this industry, it has also made me realize how fortunate I am to be coming back to a job, a community, and people who are so passionate about food.  Not only do we strive to have a good dinner service at work, but we strive to make this industry better.  I am grateful to our Branch for this opportunity.  I would also like to personally thank Chef Geoffrey Couper.  You have done an amazing job from the day you first mentioned this idea of a Farm to Fork Competition, to the execution of each element of this scholarship and everything in between including booking flights, checking in with me to ensure I had everything I could possibly need and you've always been an email away for any questions I might have had.  Thank you seems inadequate.  

Gabe, Sarah, Gavin and Morgan - We have spent two months SOLID together.  We all came to work at Petraia, but we all came together as friends sitting around the dinner table and sharing laughs over glasses of wine.  I take home with me great pictures of our adventures and priceless memories of friends!  

La Petraia...Susan and Michael, thank you for having me.  I enjoyed my time at La Petraia learning about the property and all of the amazing fruits and vegetables you grow.  I was so warmly welcomed by t he team, and I leave with new friends that I will forever stay in touch with.  Grazie.

I would also like to thank the amazing people at Locanda who have welcomed me into their kitchen and to sit at their table from time to time during my stay here.  Some of my great memories come from sitting around the table together with you and your family, or spending time harvesting olives from your property.  Thank you so much!  

When I was looking for the words to sum up what I've gained from this experience, I knew I had heard the words years ago.  This experience has been filled with stories, photos and adventures that I will bring home with me to share, but what I've been reminded of most is this:  "Keep it simple, feel the food.  Treat people how you would like to be treated, be humble, as after all, it is all about the good food, good techniques and good if not great staff."  - Chef Bernard Casavant.  

I travelled half a world away from home, to live and learn in a new culture.  Here things are simple, you respect the people, you work hard and you are humble.  I came all this way to realize that what is most important here is actually what I'm going home to.  Talk about being humbled!  

Thank you everyone for coming along with me on this adventure.  I look forward to seeing you all soon and catching up.  I cant' wait to hear about everyone's fall, the Farm to Fork competition, Wine Fest, the Alexis de Portneuf Cheese competition, Thanksgiving, Gold Medal Plates...and everything in between.

No comments:

Post a Comment