Friday 11 November 2011

Starting to say Goodbyes


Last week we all drove down to the train station as we have so many times before, all 5 of us… but we came home with only 4… Gabe has left us- he is off to Milan, Morocco, London then back to California. His parents had been visiting Petraia for a few days, wonderful people who and it has been a pleasure to get to know them. Again I might have to make a trip down to California… what a shame! :)  So our apartment is a little quieter but we all wish him the best of travels and our paths will cross again soon! Ciao Gabe thanks for a great two months, happy cooking in the future! All the best!
 
It has been a busy week… Morgan and I sat in on a wine class with Marco this week. We tasted the grapes that were just picked last month. Tasting the difference between fermentation in stainless steel vats, or in a terra cotta vessel. Petraia is trying out keeping some of there wine in terra cotta for some of the winemaking process. For anyone that has done the tasting a few weeks in… it’s isn’t by any means wine yet, but it was interesting to see and taste the difference between the terra cotta and the stainless steel so early in the process. 
 
I went to my first Soccer game this weekend!! So exciting!  Gabe, Gavin and I have been talking about this since early September. Both of them are big soccer fans, and I am just excited to be able to see a game live in Italy! Its such a big part of it's culture,  and it was great! The roar of the crowd was overwhelming and and the stadium in Siena isn’t even that big! Siena won to make it a perfect game!! 
 
On Monday we had lunch for the entire staff at Petraia to celebrate the 2011 grape harvest. All 25 of us sat down at one long table outside - we shared laughs, and conversation as we passed food back and forth across the table. The sun was shining and you could not have asked for more beautiful fall day, over-looking the vineyard that has now turned from a lush green to vibrant yellows and reds. The best part maybe besides the hearty Tuscan Soup we started with was at the end, when we all kicked the ball around. Two of the staff brought their kids and a bunch of us were just playing ball out on the grass. It’s about people… great expierences are usually defined by good people and good food. 
The amazing lunch was actually on October 31st here is how it started… Halloween… you can say a lot things about all of us interns, but lacking inspiration and heart is not one of them! The first alarm went off at 6:15 am the morning of October 31.  During the next hour and 15 minutes, the three of us (Morgan, Sarah and I) shared the bathroom, mirrors, opinions, and clothing leading up to 7:30 am when we all walked out the door completely dressed in our costumes. Morgan a Pirate, Sarah a French Painter and me a gypsy.  Gabe would later dress up in the Anne of Green Gables hat with two red braided pigtails. Susan didn’t know we were doing this, but as walked in for our shift, SHE LAUGHED AND LAUGHED!! Way to go team, and we stayed in them all day!!
 
We went to Volpaia this week one day for lunch, it was beautiful.  You should check out the link www.volpaia.com
 
On a side note...I just want to send my best back home to Chef Mark Filatow and the team at Waterfront Wines, and Chef Rod Butters at Raudz Regional Table for the outstanding job you did in Vancouver this weekend for the Gold Medal Plates Competition. You represented the Okanagan proudly and I have been only hearing amazing reviews from the event! Cheers!
 
So I will be home within two weeks.  Can you believe my 2 1/2 month stay is almost over?  Gabe has left, and then shortly after that Gavin went back to the UK unexpectedly - we miss you both - the house isn't quite the same. Then Tuesday is Morgan's last day at Petraia, she is heading to France for a few days, then I will be gone traveling before she gets back. As I've said in my past blogs, these people that I have the opportunity to live with, become friends with, and share this amazing experience with.. I will miss you all!

But before the big goodbye there is still more to come...I have one week left at Petraia, my last day will be Saturday November 12th, then Evelynn will be arriving on Sunday and her and I will be meeting in Florence, then we spend a week travelling Italy! Details to follow!
 
Tomorrow after 2 months of working at Petraia and all the amazing food we have served, I will get to sit down and enjoy a meal. Morgan and I will sit down for lunch tomorrow. I will take pictures and write a blog shortly after!!! And I will tell you about olive harvest!
 
Kelowna enjoy the first snow fall today - drive safe!
 
Ciao!

I don't know why we look so grumpy in such a gorgeous location

Italy & Soccer- what more can I say?




No comments:

Post a Comment