Wednesday 23 November 2011

The Journey Home


I write this blog from a seat on the train an hour or so outside Rome. 
I am sitting content with the warmth of the sun shining on me, unable to believe that it is actually November 17th. But apparently it is, though you would never be able to tell from the lush green fields I am looking out at or the fact there is not a cloud in sight. I am basking in the sun as I avoid the thought of the snow, winter jackets, gloves and the winter driving that will ultimately follow on my return to Canada. The gentle moving of the train with the picturesque scenery on each side also makes it hard to think about the long flight ahead of me tomorrow.  The idea of setting my alarm for 3 am seems painful when I know I am on route back to the apartment with my great friend Evelynn which will be followed with bottles of wine, dinner and great night of laughter.  On the other hand I think about the fact that tomorrow I will be at home.  Even though I love Italy and my time here, it's now real.  Tomorrow I will be home and although it seems like a blink of an eye since I left, I am ready to be home.  But first, let me tell you about my adventures of the last few days...
Sunday afternoon I found myself standing in the Florence train station, looking around at the countless people coming and going. Next time you are in an airport or train station sit and watch the happiness of the people seeing loved ones for the first time or a little kid embracing what you assume his grandmother as she gets off the train. Then I saw Evelynn, after a hug, a quick choice whether Venice or Rome, and a shot of espresso we were off. “Rome here we come!” It has been such a pleasure to be able to travel with someone I have known for most of my life. The 4-hour train ride consisted of the two of us catching up about her travels in Spain, mine in Italy, where and what we would do in Rome and any and every other detail of our lives from that last few months. 
As the train came to a stop at the Rome station we got off in search of a hotel room for the night. We would find one stay one night and then the other 3 we would stay at another hotel. During our days in Rome we saw the Colosseum, Ancient Rome including the Roman Forum, Spanish Steps, Trevi fountain and most importantly we went to the Vatican! Each of them were amazing, some we simply went to see and snap pictures of, while others we did tours and heard all the historical details of the monuments that we had only seen in movies and read about in books. We went into little shops with glass from Venice, we of course checked out the clothing stores, and as promised the boots and purses amazing! 
We meet some amazing people during our time in Rome, ate some good food, and shared moments at random when we would look at each other and say “We are in Rome!”. Evelynn is someone who I went to elementary school with- someone who I rode the same bus with through middle school - graduated, worked together through countless dinner services together at RauDZ and now we were in Rome together who would have thought way back when? 
We will share all the details of our 'Roman Holiday' when we return.
Ciao

No comments:

Post a Comment