Monday 12 September 2011

Life is good at La Petraia

Buona sera (good evening)
Hello all it’s September 12 and this time I find myself once again out of range of the wireless internet connection and enjoy the evening breeze on our deck. I think we all need to take a step back from the connection of the worldwide web some days and savour what is outside and in world around us! All though in my case, I am sure it will mean 3-4 more mosquito bites, which I have more then I can count now. But as they say “when in Rome... “
First I would like to take a moment to say congratulations to all the of the competitors of yesterday's “Farm to Fork Competition”. I have heard reviews from some of the members of the Okanagan Chefs Association Board of Directors and wow, I am so proud of all of your guys who showed up to compete and to help out with this competition. I couldn’t be there, but I was thinking about you all day.   You all did the OCA so proud! 
Competing is about challenging yourself, being proud of the food you serve, being humble and most importantly COOKING HAPPY! I would like send out best wishes to Brandon Pridie for winning and who will be coming to La Petraia this time next year! Susan and Michael are looking forward to meeting you Brandon!
A million miles away from the competition world… yesterday I was out on a foraging class at La Petraia. We hiked up the hills that surround Petraia, these forests have trees that are centuries old. We were hoping to find some amazing treasures hided within the forest, such as mushrooms, chestnuts, wild berries, herbs, and apples.  We found a few of them on our route but mostly we got a great education of the grounds and ancient history of this amazing property. Take a look at some of the pictures.
Life is good at La Petraia.  We have the Outstanding in Fields event next Tuesday and the entire teamis preparing for it.  This will be a great event so stay tuned for pictures in an upcoming blog. Meanwhile we are doing our regular daily harvesting, prep and dinner services. The last couple days we have had some amazing couples staying with us, and guess what? They were all Canadians!
Hope everyone enjoyed the OCA meeting at Watermark tonight, 
Ciao
Hi Ho-Hi Ho..it's off to forage we go.

No comments:

Post a Comment